[Skip to Content]

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, in accordance with Act 247 Pennsylvania Municipality Code and Municipal Ordinances. Again, see the Beaver County Planning Commission for details.

Subdivision plans must be one of two sizes to be accepted for recording; either 18 by 24 inches or 24 by 36 inches. We need the original on linen or mylar. The plans must be signed and sealed by the local governing body. It must then be signed by the local planning commission, and the Beaver County Planning Commission, the owner, and a Notary, along with the signature of the surveyor and his seal. If the plans were approved, signed and sealed by the governing body more than 90 calendar days, we cannot accept them for recording per Act 247.

Yes. All papers recorded in our office are public information, except for Military Discharge papers, which are impounded. This means anyone can come in and look at your deed and mortgage.

Yes, General information can be obtained by phone, but for more detailed information you should come into the office or retain a Title Searcher or Attorney. Office employees are NOT permitted to make searches, or give legal advice.

Yes. It is a good idea to record it in the event of loss. Originals are recorded through the Veterans Office, located in the basement of the County Courthouse. The Recorder's Office can provide you with a certified copy in the event you need it for various veteran benefits. There is no charge for this since the fee is paid by the county. No one but the veteran, his family or a veteran organization official is permitted to look at these records.

Our records are by name, not location or tax parcel number. This information is found in the Assessment Office. The Recorder's indexes list all property transactions involving a particular person's name.

We do not record deeds for the building -only the land. Some deeds will mention when the structure was built and what type. Recent recordings tend to give you less detailed information than the older deeds. The price of the conveyance may enable you to make a determination or a good guess as to when the structure was built.

Following the legal description in your deed, there is a section known as The Recital. It usually begins with the word "Being ... ". This clause states the prior owner and how they took title, i.e., deed book volume and page, date of deed and the recording date. You simply continue to go back and find the same information on each preceding transaction involving your property, hopefully back to 1800.

You can come into the Recorder of Deeds office and get a copy within minutes. The charge is $1.00 per page. You can also get a copy by sending a written request to the office. The mail charges are a $5 flat fee and each page is a $1. If you need the document certified, the fee is $1.50.

The records go back to 1800 and we have some earlier Patent Maps.

If you are recording in person at the Recorder's Office, it generally takes 10 to 15 minutes to review, receipt, and scan the documents. The recorded original documents are returned by mail within one week.

Yes. However, you should make sure the documents meet all legal requirements and that you have the proper checks enclosed, made payable to the Recorder of Deeds, for the correct amount. All documents should include a self-addressed stamped envelope with the proper amount of postage for the return of your document(s). This office is not responsible for insufficient postage due or U.S. Postal Service dead letter policies. If you have not received your papers after two weeks, you should call the Postal Service.

Yes. It will establish a clear title to your property.

View or download our current Fee Schedule. Or contact our office and we will be happy to fax you one.

Bring or mail the original Mortgage Satisfaction Piece to our office with the proper fee (see Fee Schedule). By mail, send a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of your documents.

We handle as many as twenty-five different kinds of documents in addition to deeds and mortgages. Some of them include clean and greens, sub-divisions, sewer easements, agricultural maps, and filings under the UCC Code. For a complete list, refer to our fee schedule.

Information is indexed by the names of the Grantor (Seller) and Mortgagor (Borrower) and the Grantee (Buyer) and the Mortgagee (Lender). These books are grouped by years. To locate a deed or mortgage you must know the name of one of the persons involved and also the approximate year of the transaction.

Only cash or check, please do not send cash if paying by mail. Recording fees, state and local taxes can all be on one check. All checks are made payable to the Recorder of Deeds.

This action must be initiated by the mortgagee (lender). However, they may send the actual forms to you. Upon making the final payment, contact your lender to see how it will be handled.

All recorded documents are microfilmed for the purpose of duplication and easy access by our office and the public. Also, the State of Pennsylvania requires that all recorded documentation be microfilmed and stored for archival purposes. All scanned images of documents are filmed and also burned onto a CD. The film and CO's are kept in an underground vault so that all records can be duplicated in case of a disaster in the Courthouse. This is for your protection.