[Skip to Content]

Appeals Process

Appealing the Decision of a Magisterial District Judge

If you are not satisfied with a decision made by a Magisterial District Judge you have the right to take an appeal from that decision to the Court of Common Pleas within specified time limits.

Appeals in civil matters are filed in the Prothonotary’s office, while appeals in criminal and traffic cases are filed in the Clerk of Courts office. Fee schedules for both row offices can be found on the county’s website.

An appeal of a decision rendered by a District Judge in a civil matter is heard by a board of arbitrators after all the pleadings are closed, discovery completed and a certificate of readiness has been filed. An arbitration panel is comprised of three members of the Beaver County Bar Association and is appointed by the Court Administrator’s office.

In a matter involving a summary offense, the appeal will be heard by a Court of Common Pleas Senior Judge. All parties to an appeal are notified as to the date and time of the hearing by the Court Administrator’s office.

Please be aware that employees in the Magisterial District Courts are not permitted to give legal advice. In the event you have questions regarding the appeal process, please consult an attorney for advice.

If you are representing yourself, there are research materials available in the Beaver County Law Library, which is located in the basement of the Courthouse. The library is open Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., except from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. You may also be interested in visiting the Law Library portion of this website which contains links to many legal resources.